My life has been kind of crazy hectic for the past week or so. I’ve been looking for full time work in Iowa City for a variety of reasons–namely, the majority of my school friends and my boyfriend are still there, and I really want to be anywhere but my home town at this point in time.
Don’t get me wrong. If I had what I’m lovingly referring to as a big girl job–being a full time writer in one form or another, or at least working forty hours a week somewhere I don’t hate–I would be content with sticking around the Chicago area. Because I’m having a supremely difficult time locating and snaring said big girl job, I’ve decided it may be time to consider other avenues. Though I am working part time right now and thrilled about it, I know that what is expected of me is holiday/seasonal personnel only. I may be lucky enough to get more hours after New Years’ Day, but it’s not a guarantee.
I need a guarantee. Or at least, as much of a guarantee as I can get. I’m not planning to quit my part time job, but that doesn’t mean I can’t keep looking elsewhere.
Where does Iowa City come in you may ask? Well, for one thing, I was able to update my list of marketable skills in preparation for applying for a job through the university. The only problem was that I needed to take a five minute typing test so that I could even apply for most of the jobs I had my eye on. Stupidly, I thought whether I’d be able to add the typing test onto my list of skills hinged more on me passing the test than on actually being able to find a place to take it.
How wrong I was.
After calling three community colleges, the library, my old high school, and every temp agency in the phone book, I found exactly zero places in my city that offered a five minute timed test. Cue me coming back from a work shift last Thursday, eating and packing frantically, then driving to Iowa City that night. In the rain.
While I was there, I did manage to get in the typing test, which I aced with a score of 70 WPM and four mistakes. I also interviewed for another job, which I’m still waiting to hear back from regarding whether I’ll be given a second interview. I was told no for another position, and am waiting to hear back on a few others. Even though I got to visit my boyfriend and a bunch of my friends, it was a very stressful few days.
Sadly, I don’t think the stress is over yet. I’ve been imagining these nightmare/awesome scenarios in which I hear that I’m wanted for an interview and have to drive four hours back, only to be offered a position and have to move in a weekend. In November. In the middle of NaNoWriMo.
Yes, I’m aware that this wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world. I would love to find full time work and go back to the town and the people I love so much. The only thing I’m worried about is the timing of it all. I guess I’ll have to wait and see.