Here is my 2015 version of Jamie at the Perpetual Page Turner’s awesome end of year book survey. I had so much fun doing this last year, and I encourage anyone out there who wants to compile their own reading review to give it a shot. My survey is missing the blogging/bookish life section again, but you can find the full survey by clicking the link provided.
2015 READING STATS
Number of Books You Read: 94
Number of Re-Reads: Don’t log them, so I’m not actually sure
Genre You Read the Most From: YA Contemporary
1. Best Book You Read in 2015?
I’m not sure I can answer this question without breaking it down by category and genre. My best books by those classifications are:
YA Contemporary: I’ll Meet You There by Heather Demetrios
YA Fantasy: Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas
YA Sci-Fi: Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson
YA Dystopian: In the Afterlight by Alex Bracken
YA Steampunk: Of Metal and Wishes by Sarah Fine (which is also sort of speculative, but whatever)
YA Historical: Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys
YA Paranormal: Lair of Dreams by Libba Bray
NA: Second Position by Katherine Locke and One and Only by Viv Daniels
Adult Fiction: Attachments by Rainbow Rowell
Adult Nonfiction: Paris in Love by Eloisa James
2. Book You Were Excited About and Thought You Were Going to Love More, but Didn’t?
Cut Both Ways by Carrie Mesrobian, for reasons I discussed in this review.
3. Most Surprising (In a Good Way or Bad Way) Book You Read?
Sabriel by Garth Nix, because I assumed that I’d be too old to understand its appeal and was completely, 100% mistaken.
4. Book You “Pushed” the Most People to Read (And They Did)?
Not sure, honestly. If I had to guess, I’d say either Attachments by Rainbow Rowell, or All the Rage by Courtney Summers.
5. Best Series You Started in 2015? Best Sequel of 2015? Best Series Ender of 2015?
Best series: Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson
Best sequel: Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas
Best series ender: Of Dreams and Rust by Sarah Fine
6. Favorite New Author You Discovered in 2015?
Helene Dunbar, seeing as I have every single one of her books–except for her debut, which I LOVED–on my TBR pile.
7. Best Book from a Genre You Don’t Typically Read/Was Out of Your Comfort Zone?
The Walled City by Ryan Graudin. I read alternate histories almost never, but this one completely sucked me in.
8. Most Thrilling/Action-Packed/Unputdownable Book of the Year?
Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas, which I was up reading until almost two a.m., in spite of the near constant fear that I might wake the neighbors with my screaming.
9. Book You Read in 2015 that You Are Most Likely to Re-read Next Year?
Any of Katherine Locke’s District Ballet Company books, if only because I own them all already.
10. Favorite Cover of a Book You Read in 2015?
Of Dreams and Rust by Sarah Fine, or The Summer of Chasing Mermaids by Sarah Ockler, for actually putting non-white girls on their covers to match the non-white girl protagonists.
11. Most Memorable Character of 2015?
Etta from Not Otherwise Specified by Hannah Moskowitz
12. Most Beautifully Written Book Read in 2015?
A Sense of the Infinite by Hilary T. Smith
13. Most Thought-Provoking/Life-Changing Book of 2015?
All The Rage by Courtney Summers
14. Book You Can’t Believe You Waited UNTIL 2015 to Finally Read?
Wonder by RJ Palacio
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From a Book You Read in 2015?
“You know all the ways you can kill a girl? God, there are so many.”
—All the Rage by Courtney Summers
16. Shortest/Longest Book You Read in 2015?
Shortest: Turning Pointe by Katherine Locke
Longest: Jill Kismet: The Complete Series by Lilith Saintcrow
17. Book that Shocked You the Most?
Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson
18. OTP of the Year (You will go down with this ship)?
Zed & Aly from The District Ballet Company books by Katherine Locke
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship of the Year?
Etta & Bianca from Not Otherwise Specified by Hannah Moskowitz or Wen & Bo from Of Metal and Wishes by Sarah Fine
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2015 From an Author You’ve Read Previously?
The Summer of Chasing Mermaids by Sarah Ockler
21. Best Book You Read in 2015 that You Read Based SOLELY on a Recommendation from Someone Else/Peer Pressure?
Everything Leads to You by Nina LaCour
22. Newest Fictional Crush From a Book You Read in 2015?
Connor from Last Will and Testament by Dahlia Adler or Dylan from One and Only by Viv Daniels. Love me some smart college boys.
23. Best 2015 Debut You Read?
Last Year’s Mistake by Gina Ciocca
24. Best World-building/Most Vivid Setting You Read this Year?
Lair of Dreams by Libba Bray
25. Book that Put a Smile on Your Face/Was the Most Fun to Read?
Paris in Love by Eloisa James
26. Book that Made You Cry or Nearly Cry in 2015?
Wonder by RJ Palacio and These Gentle Wounds by Helene Dunbar
27. Hidden Gem of the Year?
Killer Instinct by Jennifer Lynn Barnes. Actually, her whole Naturals series is.
28. Book that Crushed Your Soul?
Black Iris by Leah Raeder wasn’t exactly what I’d call soul-crushing, but large portions of it were so unbearably bleak that I had to put the book down several different times.
29. Most Unique Book You Read in 2015?
Black Iris by Leah Raeder
30. Book that Made You the Most Mad (Doesn’t Necessarily Mean You Didn’t Like it)?
All the Rage by Courtney Summers or Written in the Stars by Aisha Saeed
1. One Book You Didn’t Get to In 2015 That Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2016?
Their Fractured Light by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner
2. Book You are Most Anticipating for 2016 (Non-Debut)?
Carry On by Rainbow Rowell
3. 2016 Debut You are Most Anticipating?
Teach Me to Forget by Erica M. Chapman
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You are Most Anticipating in 2016?
The Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater
5. One Thing You Hope to Accomplish or Do in Your Reading/Blogging Life in 2016?
Post two new blog posts every month for a full twelve month span.
6. A 2016 Release You’ve Already Read and Recommended to Everyone?
I don’t believe I’ve actually read any 2016 releases yet. Which ones do you guys think I should start with?
What books did you enjoy reading this year? Let me know in the comments, or link me to your own survey!